Tuesday, July 28, 2009

24th of July Tradition

There are a few things that I look forward to every year and the 24th of July is one of them. Every year we pack up for a long weekend at our cabin in Kamas. The cabin has been in our family since before I was born and now belongs to my mother and her siblings. I love the fact that on any given weekend in the summer you can go up there and see many different relatives. Now the 24th of July has always been a huge thing in Kamas but we have truly made our own fun traditions that make the weekend a blast. This year we headed up Thursday after Kwinton got off work, once we were there it was off to the "kids carnival" a part of Kamas Fiesta Days. Friday was a beautifully hot day so of course we all headed for the creek or "crick" as we all say. The men jumped right in and got to work building a damn so the kids would have a little pool to play in, which turned into a bigger project when Amber suggested we some how build a water slide. Well just leave it to our men to pull that off, and boy did they, soon enough the other cabins had heard about the awesome water park that we had. Complete with a water slide type area and a kiddie pool for the little ones. The day ended with some good BBQ and a sunburn on Kwintons back that will haunt him for years to come. Saturday started with a little rain, but that didn't stop us from having our Saturday morning parade. The kids all bring up bikes and for wheeler, get them all decorated up, and parade them down our little dirt road. Now this isn't the grandest parade you'll ever see but it's my kind of parade. Over in about 5 minutes and you even get a little candy thrown at you. After the parade the annual horseshoe tournament gets underway. This year it included 33 teams. That is 66 adults out there throwin shoes. As usual I was out without a win, which I will undoubtedly blame on my partner Ryan even though he wasn't that bad and neither was I, we just didn't have luck on our side, and it makes me feel better. The big winners this year were my mom and her partner Joe. The very close runners up were Angie ans her partner Mark. It was an exciting day with a big finish by mom and Joe having to beat Angie and Mark twice in a row for the win. The defending champion Kwinton will surely blame his early elimination on his sunburn. It was a great weekend just as we had planned Chris and Meg even showed up unexpectedly for one night, and my sister in-law Sadie came up for horseshoes. "I will remember not to invite her next year as she is the one who eliminated my team." I totally forgot to even pick up my camera on Saturday so here are the pictures that I have.
Standing in line at the carnival

Gabriel

Enoch

Hannah

Emma

Payton

Cali

Hannah, Enoch, Payton, and Cali

Smile Chris and Meg

They all wanted to jump in Sponge bob

Kyla








Cheese Jarom

mom getting the pits ready

Making a plan

Putting there plan into action

cool water slide

kids waiting patiently

a little break to try and catch a snake

Kwinton

Gabes first ride

Then he took Cali

too cold for Cali

Do you want to try? NO

Amber even gave it a try

Cole

Gabriel

What a day!

A little bocce ball anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment